Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Happy Birthday, Malayna!

Today Malayna turned 40! My mom is 20 years older than her and Kate is 10 years younger. They make it very easy to keep track of ages--you can do all the math if you want. But today I get to celebrate my only older sister. So here is my birthday list for Malayna, a few reasons I think she is great...

1. Malayna always made it hard to be the 2nd child. She was SO good at everything. She is athletic, smart, beautiful, talented, and good. I remember all of those things making me crazy at times because I was not like Malayna in so many ways. But I remember having someone in middle school make the connection that I was her sister and oh, how that made my life easier. I was given a few free passes because she had been so good that others just thought I was having an off day when I wasn't. I decided then that all her good qualities were a good thing--they couldn't curse me forever.

2. Malayna was and is such a good example. The oldest child is given a lot of responsibility without asking for it. I think Malayna set such a great example in so many ways for the rest of us who came after her and she still does.

3. Malayna is SO honest in such a tactful way. I think this is a really amazing ability. To be able to tell someone exactly what is what and do it in a way that they still like you afterwards.

4. She doesn't let the unimportant stuff get in the way of what is really important. Malayna can see what needs to be done and is able to sift through the nonessential and get a job done well.

5. Malayna graduated from college. That may sound silly, but it was always a goal for her. It took her a little longer than she intended, but she did it. And I think because she did, she showed the rest of us it was possible. I was so proud of her.

6. She and Marty have great kids. And I know behind most great kids are great parents. I don't know all their secrets, but they are doing lots of things right. So like I say about all my sisters, she is a great mom.

7. Malayna used to get mad so easily and had quite a temper. I should know, I was the family button pusher. I especially loved to bug her and Wendy. But I have watched over the years, and Malayna has totally changed that behavior. I obviously don't try intentionally to bug her anymore, but I am sure there are others who have taken my place. And she handles difficult situations with such grace. I am constantly impressed by this.

8. Malayna is so kind. She has such a good heart and really wants to help others. But she does all of this very quietly without much fanfare, which makes me admire her even more.

9. Malayna is a true friend. She makes and keeps friends forever. I am not good about keeping in touch with people, so I really admire this about her.

10. Like I mentioned in #1, Malayna and I are very different in most ways. We fought A LOT growing up and I honestly thought we would never get along. Then I started high school as a freshman when Malayna was a senior. Some older sisters pretend like the younger sister doesn't exist--especially when they are a little dorky like I was. But Malayna was SO good to me. She would take me with her to games, dances, all kinds of things. I did have to start her car in the morning during the winter if I wanted to ride with her ;), but it was all worth it. During all those car rides between Petersboro and Mountain Crest, and lots of other things she became my best friend. I adored her. I cried for days after she left for college. I was thrilled to have my own room finally, but I missed her like crazy. I had some pretty terrible experiences in middle school with friends, but I had Malayna to show me what a real friend was like. I don't think I would be who I am now without Malayna being the friend she was to me then.

I love you, Malayna. I hope you have a fabulous day.

4 comments:

Emily said...

you are such a good writer. I feel like I love your sister too!! :)

family is the greatest huh?!!

xoxo

Bonnie said...

Malayna was sure lucky to get you for a little sister!
What a nice tribute to your big sister Jen!
Good Job!1

Mimi said...

I loved your tribute to your sister...and I'm sure it means so much to her. Your new picture must be in Utah...not Texas...right?:) So glad you're able to be closer to family these days!

Malayna said...

I don't get on here enough! What nice things you said! Wow! Can I get this printed and notarized - you know, just for future reference on those many days I am back in reality and things are not as perfect as you so wonderfully make them sound? Ha! Ha! Love you Jen! I need to learn how to hack into your blogspot so I can post about you next week!
Malayna