Tuesday, September 29, 2009

A Great Book

For those who know me, you know I love to read. I am always on the lookout for a good book and I am never without something to read. I don't like to watch a movie before I read the book and I don't usually like to read the book if I have already seen the movie. For this reason, I have never read "Little Women". I know, I know, a classic. But I loved the movie so much (the more recent one with Wynonna Ryder), all the Massachusetts scenery that is so wonderful and the story. So I thought for sure the book would be too much of a repeat and wouldn't keep my interest. How wrong I was!!! The book (as usual) is so much better than the movie. And I was sad to find out how much Christianity was totally removed from the movie--I didn't say surprised--just sad. I am still not done with the book, but I wanted to share a few of my favorite quotes. Inspirational! Now I would just like to go to Concord again and enjoy all those lovely places once more...

"It was easier to try for your sakes than for my own; a startled or surprised look from one of you, when I spoke sharply, rebuked me more than any words could have done; and the love respect, and confidence of my children was the sweetest reward I could receive for my efforts to be the woman I would have them copy."

"If I don't seem to need help, it is because I have a better friend, even than father, to comfort and sustain me. My child, the troubles and temptations of your life are beginning, and may be many; but you can overcome and outlive them all if you learn to feel the strength and tenderness of your Heavenly Father as you do that of your earthy one. The more you love and trust Him, the nearer you will feel to Him, and the less you will depend on human power and wisdom. His love and care never tire or change, can never be taken from you, but may become the source of life-long peace, happiness and strength. Believe this heartily, and go to God with all your little cares, and hopes, and sins, and sorrows, as freely and confidingly as you come to your mother."

"I want my daughters to be beautiful, accomplished, and good; to be admired, loved and respected; to have a happy youth...with as little care and sorrow to try them as God sees fit to send...My dear girls, I am ambitious for you, but not to have you make a dash in the world, --marry rich men merely because they are rich, or have splendid houses, which are not homes because love is wanting. Money is a needful and precious thing, --and, when well used, a noble thing, --but I never want you to think it is the first or only prize to strive for. I'd rather see you poor men's wives, if you were happy, beloved, contented, than queens on thrones, without self-respect and peace."

"Then let me advise you to take up your little burdens again; for though they seem heavy sometimes, they are good for us, and lighten as we learn to carry them. Work is wholesome, and there is plenty for everyone; it keeps us from ennui and mischief, is good for health and spirits, and gives us a sense of power and independence better than money or fashion."

5 comments:

The Fluckiger Family said...

Jen, I for the same reasons have not ever read this book either, but you have made me want to read it...thanks for opening my eyes :)

Carley said...

It's one of my favorites! I'm glad you are reading it.

Anniebananie said...

OK...maybe I will have to read it again...love the thoughts!

Mimi said...

I love that book too...maybe I'll re-read it soon!

Emily Barton said...

Hey Jen! I told you I loved it, but I also enjoyed the movie. The moral lessons it teaches make it one of the "best books". Miss ya.