Sunday, June 14, 2009

Nine

Ben is 9. I know I shouldn't, but already I am looking at next year and the fact that I will have another child in double digits. I wonder constantly how this happened, where did all those years go? I simply can't accept we are headed to that stage of our family. I will go kicking and screaming into the teenage years--I wish I could just hit pause.

I hope Ben had a good day today, he has had lots of phone calls, cards and gifts. He had a fun little party on Friday night. Ben got golf clubs and some Cd's for his birthday, and he wanted an ice cream cake. I attempted making it myself and I will admit it turned out okay. I think my cake/ice cream ratio was a bit off in favor of the ice cream. I would have liked a little more cake, but live and learn. Ben is a mini me in so many ways that we often butt heads, but I will say that he really is such a great boy. He has such a wonderful smile and beautiful eyes. He is always the first to ask if I need help with anything and he has a HUGE heart. Ben was my biggest baby weighing 9 lbs. 13 oz. He continues to be a big guy, usually the tallest in his class and yet one of the youngest. I think God knew he needed a body so big to handle the size of his heart. All you have to do is look in Ben's eyes, and you can see his tender heart. He really is such a special boy. He is truly the champion of the underdog and hates to see anyone hurt or sad. Ben loves food and loves to cook and already keeps a notebook of ideas for recipes. He and Brian talk about what kind of restaurant they want to have someday and what the menu will look like. I am always flattered when Ben tells me something I have made would make it on his menu! Ben is ACTIVE and always has been. He has a very hard time sitting still. He is very smart and does so well in school and is so well liked. But he is so hard on himself--I wish he could see himself the way I see him--even just a glimpse. He would be amazed. I love my Ben.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Jenn! I saw your name on Megan E.'s blog and thought "No Way!" Anyway I linked in from her blog and have to say HI!...and you have 5 beautiful kids. Megan was a neighbor of mine in Layton and we laughed when I told her that I went to high school with you and that Brian lived across the hall from me in college. It's a small world. Anyway... check our blog out sometime and it's great seeing where you are and what you're doing. :)Kayla Miller (Campbell)

Kayla said...

Ughhh! Kiarra is my daughter and I swear she has a magical login, because I can't ever log her out on the first try. Anyway...this is me...Kayla ;)

Emily said...

what a perfect little tribute to your Ben... I have not spent much time with your kids, and never met a few of them but I feel that I "know" them a bit through reading your blog... you are a great writer and it's easy to see that they are great kids and loved very much! You are a wonderful mom Jen! I Wish we lived closer so that you could rub off on me even more! glad he had a happy day!!

Unknown said...

Glad Ben had a nice birthday! He looks handsome in the green shirt! Now I need a picture of Ruby in her sundress.

Carley said...

Don't dread the teen years, so far, ours have been fun...unbelievably busy, and quite a lot more expensive, but really fun, and something to look forward to.

The Blog said...

jen,

Ok...sorry about the Baxter....I know what was I thinking...I fixed it... I am sure my other Jen loved it as well!

Kathy