Tuesday, March 24, 2009

My big boys

Yesterday I went outside to check on the kids and found all of them (even Ruby--Sally had taken her out) sitting on the curb. I told them I didn't think that was a very good place to play especially since there were little kids with them. They all said okay, I brought Ruby in and continued fixing dinner, assuming they had all moved on to a new location to play. Well, about 20 minutes later a man came to the door, I figured some salesperson since I didn't know who he was. Well, I opened the door and he said, "I just thought you would want to know that your boys are out by the street throwing rocks at cars." I think my chin hit the ground and I politely thanked him. I began hunting down my boys, I was a woman on a mission. I was in the backyard yelling their names and up pops Ben from behind the tiered flower beds. I asked where Jake was and he said he didn't know. We finally found Jake and I explained in my calm yelling voice (is there really such a thing?) that they were in some serious trouble. Jake says, "But Dad did stuff like this all the time!" They have heard many of their Dad's youthful escapades, but none included throwing rocks at cars. I told them as much, and also included that their Dad had also said he was very lucky no one ever did get hurt and that some of the things they did weren't very smart. Jake seems to have conveniently forgotten that part of the story. Then they both proceeded to tell me that it was all just innocent. I asked them, "If it was all just innocent as you claim, why did you feel the need to run as soon as a car stopped?" SILENCE... I seriously couldn't believe MY boys were doing something so awful. I kept thinking, where did my sweet little boys go and could they please come back? I am not ready for this "stage" and just pray it doesn't last too long. My hair is already grey enough, I can't take it! I have told Brian I take no responsibility after they turn 13, they are all his, but I am thinking I need to lower the age a bit. Holy Cow!! I have never had to "ground" my boys, but it happened this week. A monumental point in our lives of the not so good kind. I have a good friend in NY who told me, "Kids are so cute when they are little, you just want to eat them up. And then when they grow up, you wish you had!" One of those days!

5 comments:

meegz said...

Ahh -- you have stated my feelings about my boys the last couple of weeks. YIKES -- I can't believe what they do to each other lately -- constantly fighting!!!(of course that's an exaggeration, but it sure seems like it)
I just keep remembering my friend I met in the temple and how her kids actually made it out of it okay. I was there for their "big boy" years. and had my doubts.:) Pick that chin up off the floor and smile -- this too shall pass(I HOPE!)

The Fluckiger Family said...

Wow, I can't even imagine dealing with that yet. Boys will definitely be boys. I don't think my mom realizes half of the things Brandt, Nate and Whit ever did, until they happen to admit to them when we are gathered together and laughing about it...although I don't think my mom necessarily is. I'll be looking to you for advice when my boys get a little bit older :)

davenportreport said...

Jen, words can't express how much I am NOT looking forward to that phase. Luke (age 8) is already starting to get kind of obnoxious and it is driving me and James crazy! I feel your pain and I am amazed that your boys are lucky to be alive - I don't know if mine would be so lucky! Good luck. I just keep telling myself that we can only do the best we can, then put our faith in trust in them and hope we taught them right! XOXO

Carley said...

Thanks for the smile Jen, you have me chuckling out loud. My 10 year old boy (and he's the only one, so he has to make up for it in trouble)has me saying far to frequently, "what were you thinking?" Most of the stuff I have to go in my room and laugh about later. Boys crack me up. They are a lot easier than the girl stuff that's headed your way, as I'm sure you know! Thanks for sharing, it's good to know Josh isn't a heathen, but probably just normal.

Emily said...

boys will be boys... isn't that how the saying goes? :) full of mischief and adventure but I know your boys are full of goodness and love too! I seriously think there is something in the make up of boys where they don't really "think first" and they just can't help but do some crazy stuff... for the most part it's just innocent FUN, right??? that's what if was for Glen anyway???
...luckily there were no arrests or MAJOR issues but I think he definitely learned lots of "life lessons" which every little boy could use more of, right!! your boys are darling and will be just fine, and so will you!! your one amazing mom Jen!! xoxo