Sunday, February 22, 2009

Ruby vs. vacuum

While I love this age, I hate that Ruby puts EVERYTHING in her mouth!!! I vacuum and sweep and she still finds things on the floor. Ruby gets in the corners and under the couch and tables where the broom or vacuum have missed something and with those cute little pinchers, she can get anything and it of course goes in her mouth. Most recently a marble and a rock. Brian has taken the stance of just throwing things away. He doesn't care if it goes to a game or not, he just wants to avoid any choking hazards. And while I agree with him largely, I also hate to see a game ruined over missing pieces. So I am constantly on the lookout for things she might see. I should probably get on my hands and knees and go through the house. She is like a microscopic vacuum. I am pulling my hair out--it makes me crazy! Of course I don't want her to choke, but what to do with 4 other kids and all their "stuff"?!!!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Jen... your blogs are the best.. you need to print them off and make a book for your kids... Too much fun.. Your knack for capturing humor in lifes daily dealings are truly enjoyable..Maybe Kash needs to truck around on his hands and knees for you so as it keep your knees in good health but still help momma. Take care~

Shane and Becky said...

We had the same problem when Lindsay was that age. Sadly, I have no advice. We would try to keep a step ahead, but our older kids were still not too careful with their stuff of course. I feel your pain! Luckily, Lindsay grew out of it eventually. I like the comment before mine...Let Kash do the knee work, might make him feel like he is Ruby's protector.

Barbi Mecham said...

Boy that is the question! Between Polly Pockets and Legos it is a miracle that Owen survived! Thankfully he is pretty much past that phase now thank heavens. My husband pretty much had the same philosophy as Brian, so the kids learned if they wanted it safe, they kept it away. Good luck to you, and your vacuum and broom!
By the way, what a beautiful family you have!

Carley said...

And now you know why I have dogs, they don't choke! They...recycle the bits and pieces, to put it delicately. As to the three dogs; mark us down as plain crazy. Either that or living in the 'country' has gotten the better of us! Your blog is darling; I can't believe how big your kids are getting. It's been forever since I've seen them in person though. And you have five! You are a saint! My four keep me running about like a chicken with its head cut off.

meegz said...

I really dislike that oral stage as well.

I remember one time I was looking for keys and I could not find them anywhere...I mean anywhere! So I got down on my hands and knees(because we had three under 3 at the time) and crawled around the house. Low and behold, I found them. It's an interesting perspective to see the house from your knees.:)

Carley said...

Oh you read my other blog, thanks! So now you know my deepest darkest secret, lol. I don't know if I'm any good at it, but I love doing it, and so I do. I call it the crazy side of me, but it's fun. I didn't know you had your degree in Journalism..I should have you edit all my stuff! ;)