Sunday, February 15, 2009

A look at our LONG week

Last Sunday: Leave after sacrament meeting at church because Sally has started a fever. Later that night, Ruby starts to fever as well.

Monday: Planning to have missionaries and others over for dinner, but have to take Sally & Ruby to the doctor to see what is going on. Ruby has an ear infection, Sally tested for strep, but it was negative. So we have everyone over for dinner. Sally is doing MUCH better, Kash starts with a fever & Ruby is miserable. That night, Kash & Ruby throw up, each a few times. I am feeling terrible about everyone being here--I thought we were okay.

Tuesday: Kash is SO sick, high fever and just so sick. I go back and forth between Ruby and Kash holding each of them til they are asleep just in time for the other to wake up. Sally went back to school, she was feeling fine.

Wednesday: Kash is marginally better, Ruby is still pretty miserable. The doctor's office calls and says the culture they sent out on Sally came back positive, so she does have strep. Great, she has been at school for 2 days with strep--I am such a great mom. She starts her antibiotic. She really was feeling fine!

Thursday: About the same as Wednesday, but Ben comes home with a fever and looking pretty bad.

Friday: Back to the doctor's office. Ruby, Kash, & Ben test positive for Type A Flu. Spend lots of money on meds and all the visits to the office. I tell them that we have also had strep at our house and figure they will send out a culture to see about that as well.

Saturday: Ruby is much improved, she can actually breathe through her nose a little bit again. Ben & Kash still miserable.

Today: Home from church with the sick kiddos. Call the clinic to see if a culture had been sent out for Kash & Ben to make sure there was no strep as well as the flu. No culture sent. I tell them it is logical deduction that they must have strep since Ruby was the only one with flu who is better and she was on an antibiotic for her ears. They tell me I have to bring them back in again. I am mad. Oh, did I mention I have strep too? But I am feeling better since my doctor will give me antibiotics without having to be seen. Brian takes them to the clinic since I was crying and yelling at the nurse, I didn't want to go.

So...I was a little frustrated. I told the nurse, "You are going to make me bring them in, have them tested, if it comes back negative you will send out the culture, but just to be safe you will put them on an antibiotic until the culture comes back." "So tell me why you won't just give me the antibiotic!!!!?" It happened just like I said it would and now we wait until Tuesday to see if I was right. I so hope I am or I will feel so stupid. Not that I am glad my kids are sick, but come on! Oh, another great one, she told me they would just do a nurse visit so we wouldn't get charged, but when Brian got there, they had scheduled an appointment with the doctor. So we got to pay again to do another strep test they should have done Friday. Needless to say, we have had a LONG week! But I think we are finally on the mend. I think about others I know who are dealing with far greater problems than our flu and strep and I really think I shouldn't complain. This too shall pass. Another week and I will have a much better attitude. But I still think we are going to switch doctors. I was really unhappy with how they handled everything this week.

5 comments:

Kade and Katie said...

hey, we could hang out and be sick together. the kids are all pretty yucky around here too. i just had tage and carver in, checked out perfect, and now they all have fevers and horrible coughs and runny runny noses (which tage somehow, from someone, learned to wipe it on his sleeve..GROSS!) i am so sorry you are all so sick. i'm with you in hopes that the doc will just understand that mom knows best and send over the medicine without having to drag them in there. and we have NO insurance, so every visit is about $100 for us. so our poor kids really have to wait it out for us to take them in. i wish i could run you over a dinner, or just and come catch throw up for you! i love you tons and hope this week is WAY better for ya!

The Fluckiger Family said...

I am sooo sorry for the long week you have had. I don't blame you for being peeved about the doctor, I don't think they handled it right either. This is the worst time of year for all the "gunk" to be spread. It seems like my kids just keep passing it back and forth. Hope you all get feeling better and have a much better week!

meegz said...

one word: YUCK! Okay another word too: SORRY! yes, this too shall pass....ewww, no one wants to hear those words when you're in the thick of it. Hope they are well soon!!!

Anonymous said...

phyJen,
I am sooooo sorry. What a terrible experience. What a terrible office staff. It sounds like they had no idea what they were doing. You really had a double whamy with no support. I would definitely switch doctors-you need all the help you can get when illness strikes! Give the kiddos hugs and take a nice long bath when you get the chance.
TIFFANI

Judy Lamont Stock said...

ARE YOU ALIVE??? If so good job for handling all of that. I think all of us moms would have loved to bring you a nice dinner this week. I'm sooo sorry you just had to have an awful week. No one ever likes those. Guess it's just one of those things we have to go through. Plus, look on the bright side at least Brian was there. Now if you were in Cuba NY most likely he wouldn't have been. We'll be thinkin' of ya!