Monday, August 31, 2009

Trying to do the right thing

Last year when we moved to TX, we decided that we would just be a one vehicle family until we saved enough money to buy a 2nd vehicle. We thought that was more in line with "living within our means" and we really didn't want to have 2 car payments. So we waited. Man, it was killing me! We had sold Brian's car before leaving NY thinking it would be easier with a new baby to all be in one vehicle while traveling across the country. I thought it was a good idea until I was going crazy not having my own vehicle. But I really wanted to wait and save the money, so I tried really hard to not complain too often. Thank goodness for friends who would haul us to the park and such places in the mean time! ("Ya'll" know who you are :)...)

So in the spring we decided to start looking. We found an older Tahoe that Brian really liked and I told him to buy it. But he waited too long hoping the guy would drop the price. So we started looking on eBay. We knew others who had bought vehicles there and had a good experience. We found a Tahoe in Houston that looked great so we bought it. And here the story really begins...

The guy told us he could get it shipped to Amarillo for $225. It ended up costing $100 more and he said he would give us the extra $100. Never happened. The Tahoe finally showed up 3 weeks late. Now you have to know that the description said "new brakes, new transmission, new shocks, new fuel pump, A/C works great and all power options". Here comes the fun part. Brian couldn't get the Tahoe out of 1st gear and then he about ran through our garage trying to stop. When we tried to get it to the shop to be looked at, it wouldn't start. It was that "new" fuel pump. It had to be replaced just to have the transmission looked at. We had to have a brand new transmission put in (luckily eBay covered this). When we had the shocks looked at, they were the ORIGINAL shocks--they needed replaced as well as the brakes. The A/C never worked. While the Tahoe was at the AAMCO getting fixed, it was broken into and the stereo (the only nice thing that worked) was stolen. Are you laughing yet? Brian and I just keep laughing. So we thought we were good, but needed to get an alignment before we left. I was just waiting for the guy to call and say there was something else wrong. Sure enough, he called and said we had to have something else done before the alignment could be done. So instead of $70 it cost $370! Oh, did you remember that Brian at this point has NO job? What can we do but laugh? So FINALLY we have everything set and we head out for UT. Brian calls me while we are driving through Green River, WY and tells me to turn around and come find him, the Tahoe has broken down. Yes, I am serious. It is either the transmission or the transfer case (whatever that is). So we were on the side of I-80 for almost 2 hours getting things arranged and situated so we could get to UT. I asked Brian what we were to learn from this Tahoe experience and he said he had learned to jump at a good thing when he sees it and not to wait anymore. So here we are in UT, "jumping", hoping and praying this whole business thing works out. In spite of all the trouble we have experienced over the past couple of months we continue to feel so blessed. What an amazing blessing that the Tahoe broke down close enough to UT that Brian's awesome brothers could (and were so willing) help us get the Tahoe to UT. Oh, I forgot! When they got to the Tahoe, it had a flat tire too! Too much! Just gotta laugh! We have amazing families and super friends who are so supportive and helpful. So we just laugh a lot, pray more, and feel grateful every day. Just be careful if you ever buy a vehicle on eBay--it could cost WAY more that you think! :)

9 comments:

The Maguet's said...

Wow! I think I would be crying at this point...what a positive outlook you have! When it rains, it pours! I couldn't help but giggle about the radio being stolen...what are the chances? I guess that car just didn't want to leave TX!

Emily said...

Glad to hear you all made it safely to Utah! Sacrifice brings blessings, right? Eventually! Good luck with everything. We already miss you! Ben and Eric both looked a little lonely in Primary this week!

davenportreport said...

Jen, that would send me over the edge. You are so cute and positive. I'm glad you guys made it. Are you in Logan-ish area? We hope to see you more often now.

xoxo

The Fluckiger Family said...

It's a good thing you are so positive, Jen! I don't think that I would have been laughing one bit. I am excited that you guys will be closer and and hope all works out for you :) Maybe we'll see you more often!

Ashley said...

I'm sorry, but it is funny! Just because I know you guys are always in good humor about everything! Richard and I bought a repo van from our bank... it was a great deal, and just a suggestion from the frugal minds of newly married college students/parents. It's worth a look at all the local banks. =) Then you can afford what other people couldn't. (That's what Richard says) Good luck in UTAH! We are much more likely to see you now sometime.

Barbi Mecham said...

Man Jen, I don't know whether to laugh or cry. You are amazing and have a super attitude. I am glad you are safely in UTAH!

Gayle said...

Wow, what an adventure! I'm so glad you finally made it safely. It makes a great story and a lot of that is due to your great attitude about everything. We miss you and your sweet kids already!

Stacie said...

oh man, I'm not sure, but I think you probably got yourself a lemon ;).

Stacie said...

...and doesn't it leave a sour taste in your mouth? haha. we have had one of those too.