Monday, August 10, 2009

My Dad...

My Dad's birthday was July 27th. On that day we were driving to Fish Lake where for the next week we had no access to computers (it was great). Then we got back to Amarillo and this past week I have done so much laundry I felt punished for something and just trying to deal with the craziness that has happened since we got home (a post for another day). Basically, I am trying to make excuses for why I haven't posted my birthday post for my Dad. But now, 2 weeks after the fact, I am getting it done.

1. My dad is probably the most honest person I know. He ALWAYS tells the truth, does what is right, and is such a good example of what being honest means.

2. My dad is so smart. I am amazed at the information he has stored in his head. He has the amazing ability to remember SO much. He can remember years, dates, names, interesting facts, all kinds of stuff that comes in especially handy when playing Trivial Pursuit on his team.

3. I really think my Dad gives everyone a fair shake. He seems to be able to look past the exterior, whatever that may look like, and make decisions about people based on who they really are.

4. My Dad can fix anything if he has duct tape and baling twine. This may sound silly, but SERIOUSLY he has repaired so many things (including my high school car) with these things. I like to tease him about it, but I am still impressed whenever he can make things work with just those 2 things.

5. I love my Dad for deciding to move us to Petersboro. I know he and my mom sacrificed a lot and went through a lot to make it happen. But I really LOVE the farm and I loved growing up there. I know it will never mean to me what I believe it means to my Dad, but that farm is such a special place. There is just a feeling there and the view of the valley is unbeatable.

6. My Dad is reasonable. I know I pushed the line quite a few times while I was growing up. I asked questions and did things that I am sure caused at least 1/2 of my mom's grey hair. Often, she would pass me to my Dad when she wasn't quite sure how to answer my questions. My Dad would always listen (however absurd I might have been) and give me answers that made sense. Perfect example: At some point during high school I asked my Dad if he thought it would be okay for me to swear since he did. His answer was, "Go ahead if it makes you feel better." Being me, I wanted him to tell me no so I could in some twisted way feel justified in my bad behavior. But instead, he made me look at the situation logically. By the way, I don't swear. Okay, maybe occasionally when there just isn't a better word! :)

7. My Dad would do anything for me. I know that.

8. My Dad is a better version of Jack Fryer than he was 20 years ago. My Dad will admit when he is wrong and then he really works to do something about changing. I think this is an amazing thing. So often we are complacent in our effort to "become", but my Dad constantly surprises me with his efforts. I really admire this.

9. He is meticulous. My Dad likes perfect lines when he mows the grass, he likes nice lines when he vacuums (yes, he does vacuum), everything is always very neat when my Dad does it. He says he is probably a little OCD, but who of us isn't about one thing or another? Because of this, I think my Dad always looks very nice. His clothes are always pressed and he ALWAYS smells good. So I think his version of OCD is a good thing.

10. My Dad is a great dad. He always made sure to tell us he loved us and still does. Growing up, he would make sure we knew he was proud of us. In a world where fatherhood is diminished, my Dad exemplified that role. He is not perfect, none of us are. I find that out with every situation that faces me as a parent. But I still know I was a very blessed child and still feel blessed to have the parents I have.

I love you, Dad.

2 comments:

The Fluckiger Family said...

I really enjoyed reading this Jen! So many things about Uncle Jack that I have noticed and loved about him, too! He does always smell good, I've seen the vacuuming, and I loved the answer about wanting to swear! Great post - and happy late birthday Uncle Jack! :)

Kade and Katie said...

true, true. i love reading your posts about someone. dad is so great, we are blessed! and i think i might just laugh if i ever heard you swear, it's just not you.