Tuesday, August 18, 2009

News at our house

So we are moving. We are headed back to Utah after being away for 7 years. It is hard to believe, I honestly never thought it would happen, but here we go! I will try to be brief in my explanation of what has happened over the past few months...

Most of you know that when Brian took this most recent job, he worked in CA while we lived in NY for almost 9 months. Then we were in UT last summer and moved to TX in August last year. Even then, Brian was still doing the long distance commute until the plant here was built. In just under 2 years, he helped fix the plant in CA (they were so in love with him then), and got the plant here up and running and accomplished their 5 year plan is less than one. I would say pretty impressive. But Brian has been miserable for the past few months. His idea of management/leadership is far different than what he was experiencing from the top. When we left for UT in July, we really weren't sure what was going to happen when we got back. Brian had a meeting with his boss and they mutually agreed that it wasn't going to work out any longer. So Brian's last day of work was Aug. 14. They were good to us and gave us a decent severance package which makes things a little easier while we figure things out. We were really trying to make choices that would be best for our family and give Brian a chance to do some of the things he has wanted to do for years. We knew it was time to be closer to family, but weren't sure how it would all work out. A few weeks ago, Brian's brother called with a plan. He has wanted to open his own trailer/welding shop for some time, but lacked the business knowledge to do it. He is truly one of the best at what he does, but needed some help with the business. So Brian and I really thought and prayed about it. Honestly, it sounds like the craziest thing we could do, to just pack up and move like we are, but we feel great about it. Brian and Rick are such hard workers and if anyone can make this fly, they can. So for now, we are going to move into Brian's mom's house for at least a year. Kathi has been so supportive of her boys and is so willing to do anything to help make it happen. We are keeping all our options open at this point, but we are headed to South Jordan for now to help Rick get the shop up and going. I am so excited for Brian and just hope we can sell our house REALLY fast! :) So that is the "low down" on the Owens family. We are leaving in less than 2 weeks so the kids can start school out there. It is going to be a crazy few weeks, but we really are so excited about it all.

10 comments:

Kevin Franson said...

Thanks for sharing your plans! Best of luck to you and your efforts. You'll be great at whatever you choose, because you are both great people.

Kevin

davenportreport said...

WOW! That is crazy, but good news. I hope the best for your family - you deserve it. And we can see you more.:)

Let us know if we can do anything to help.

xoxo
Molly

Tracy said...

good luck, I hope it all works out. If you need a place to take a break on your way to Utah, just give me a call. We would love to have you. 505-922-6216 we are just in Rio Rancho just barely north of albuquerque.

Emily said...

WOW!! life is full of twists and turns and there is nothing better than feeling excitement and peace with those changes. I am so happy for you and I admire your faith. I'm sure it will all work out... it seems like everything is already falling into place for you! How wonderful to be closer to family too!!

not to mention friends :) I think Anne is still in Draper and you know you have lots of love from cache valley too... lets get together when things settle down for you, I would love it!!

Good luck with the move and all the upcoming adventures for your cute family!!

Mimi said...

I just have to tell you that I really felt the spirit testify to me as I read your blog...I think you are doing the best thing for you and your family! You're so courageous. I'm reading "The Work and the Glory" series right now...you remind me of some of those people!

Carley said...

Welcome home Jen! Now we'll get to see more of you. Good luck with the move, but then again, if anyone can pull this off it's you! Let us know if you need anything! :)

Emily said...

Don't go! Don't listen to the spirit, you can still stay!

We'll miss you guys so much!

Jennifer said...

I AM SOOOOOO EXCITED!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!

The Maguet's said...

I am so excited for you and your family. I was just telling Matt the other day that I wished we had more time to get to know ya'll (had to throw in a little Southern Flare!) better! I am sure things will be great! Best of Luck

Shane and Becky said...

Wow! It has been tooooo long since I have checked in. Well, what adventures you are having. Good that you will be close to family (and closer to cache valley!) Good luck with all of your twists and turns and the Tahoe! All will work out. Hope to see you sometime.