Monday, January 19, 2009

Pinewood Derby

This past Saturday was the Pinewood Derby for Ben. He wanted to make a Steelers car, so we worked on it all week (WE being a very key word) and I think it came out nicely. Only problem, it wasn't very fast. Brian says we just can't have both it seems, a car that looks good and races good. At least it did look good. And Ben was in the spotlight for much of the Derby because the guy running it happened to be from Pittsburgh originally and LOVED Ben's car. We were in a department store a couple of weeks ago and the manager walked up to Ben (he had on his jersey) and said, "You gotta give me five, there just aren't enough Steeler fans down here!" Ben of course loves every minute of it. So we were thrilled last night when the Steelers won again and are headed to the Super Bowl. We even caught Ben at one point during the game saying a prayer for his Steelers--how sweet is that? And apparently the Big Guy is a Steelers fan too! :)

We had a first today. Ruby was crying and I told Jake to bring her to me. He brought her in and as soon as I took her, she really started to cry. I gave her back to Jake and she was all smiles. What a stinker! But very cute, she really loves Jake! It seems to be a theme in his life, girls loving him, I am SO not ready!

2 comments:

The Fluckiger Family said...

The car is perfect! You guys did a great job on it - who cares if it had speed? That is darling about Ruby too. May is the same way. She absolutely glows when either of the boys slow down enough to talk to her. My mom has a game she wants to send to you and was wondering what your address is. Maybe you can send a post back? Take care!

Emily said...

pine wood derby... makes me smile! I wonder if it's more for the dad's sometimes than the boys?? Evan did a Utah Jazz car last week and we had the same speed problem... even after lots of "research" on the internet!! Glen is hoping to have the champion car by at least Gabe... with all these boys we have a lot of derby's ahead, I'm afraid :) I love the steeler's jersey's and the owen's fan club... I never know which team to cheer for during the super bowl but your cute boys give me a reason to love the steeler's I'll yell a little for them!!